The Capital Junior Hockey League season has been shut down due to provincial COVID restrictions
The decision probably came as no surprise to Riggers head coach Carter Huebner. He predicted shortly after Christmas there was about a 30 percent chance that the remainder of the season could be salvaged.
Hockey Alberta finally confirmed the bad news late Wednesday. Below is the news release announcing the decision:
Hockey Alberta and its Senior and Junior leagues unanimously decided to conclude all regular league play for the remainder of the 2020-21 season during a meeting held on February 8.
While league play is concluded for this season, the opportunity for Teams to return to on-ice activity at some point remains a possibility. In the Government of Alberta’s “A Path Forward”, Step 3 outlines the potential return of ‘adult team sports’ which could potentially occur in mid to late March.
Hockey Alberta will continue to work closely with government representatives to explore all options that could allow players to return to on-ice activity.
The decision applies to the following leagues:
- North Peace Hockey League
- North Central Hockey League
- Sask-Alta Hockey League
- East Central Senior Hockey League
- Ranchland Hockey League
- North West Junior Hockey League
- North Eastern Alberta Junior B Hockey League
- Capital Junior Hockey League
- Heritage Junior Hockey League
- Hockey Calgary Junior B and C
- Noralta Junior Hockey League
- Alberta Junior Female Hockey League