Leduc woman reflects on armed police response at her home

Tasha McCrae says the story has created a lot of online speculation and misunderstandings.

A Leduc woman is trying to clear-up any misconceptions after her home was “swatted” by RCMP on Labour Day Monday.

Tasha McCrae says she’s still a bit shaken up after police entered her home with guns after a 911 call told Leduc RCMP that a man had been shot and killed inside her home.

“It’s still very surreal…I just keep remembering the panic. It’s still very shocking,” said McCrae.

It was around 2:30 in the afternoon on September 2 when McCrae was showering, when she heard what she thought was a bullhorn from an ice cream truck. She was then instructed to open the door, still only wearing her towel. She was later allowed to get dressed and inform the children in the house what was happening. 

Multiple armed officers then entered the home where McCrae, her three kids and their friends, all under the age of 10, watched as the police searched the house.

Once police recognized that it was a false report, they apologized to the family and spent time with the kids.

Perhaps the issue that left McCrae the most disheartened was that RCMP didn’t treat her family as victims, and don’t plan to follow-up with her about the still unknown caller.

“They acted like it’s none of our business or issue, but I feel it really is,” she said. “I know they feel like they wasted time, [and] I’m sure they don’t like storming a house, but they’re forgetting that a family was actually terrorized.”

Following the incident, the story received notable media attention, which McCrae says created a lot of misunderstandings and speculation from online commenters.

“Swatting” is a term often associated with the online gaming community, where players will falsely report serious crimes, often resulting in an armed response from law enforcement. McCrae says she has no idea why her residence was targeted, saying she’s not a gamer, and that she had only lived at this address for a few days.

Another criticism she received was over her ability to take photos and videos of the incident.

“I didn’t pull my phone out to take the pictures, my kids had their dad on FaceTime,” said McCrae. “When I couldn’t be consoling them, I just wanted their dad to know if they were okay or not. It’s just [preparing for the] worst case scenario.”

McCrae says her younger two kids seem unfazed by the police response, but says her 10-year-old is still a bit anxious, although she understands that the police were just doing their jobs.  

More from Local News

Social Networks

Recently Played Songs

The One For All Club

Join the exclusive VIP club today!