City officers out with fire prevention tips for the Christmas season
Leduc Fire Services is out with some fire safety tips for people with the holidays approaching.
Christmas time can be a dangerous time for many homes with Christmas lights, fireplaces, and other electrical equipment.
Brian Oliver is a Fire Prevention Officer in Leduc and he tells The One News some of the things to watch out for if you have an elaborate Christmas display.
"If they're using an outdoor setup for their Christmas display to make sure it's the proper extension cord, so you'll probably have to extend power from an outlet to that spot, so make sure it's rated for outdoor use, make sure it's not damaged and make sure you're not using what we call an octopus or multiple plugins to one single outlet, if you have to extend power, if you need a power bar that's going to lead to your best and safest results" says Oliver.
The top 10 fire safety tips include:
1. Check your smoke alarm
2. Candles shouldn't be left unattended
3. If you have a real Christmas tree, please keep it well watered
4. Please check all Christmas lights before you decorate
5. Always remain in the kitchen while cooking
6. Please use extension cords wisely
7. Keep matches and lighters out of sight and in places children can't reach
8. Please allow adequate space around any space heaters
9. If you smoke, please stub your cigarettes out completely and dispose of them safely
10. Have a home fire escape plan
You can find more information by visiting http://www.ofc.alberta.ca/ofc-winter-fire-safety. (JSL/THE ONE NEWS)