Leduc Fire Services warning people about the dangers of Carbon Monoxide

Photo courtesy of the city of Leduc

Fire Chief has tips on how to prevent Carbon Monoxide poisoning

Leduc's fire department is warning people in the community about the dangers of carbon monoxide.

With the temperature getting cooler more people use things like furnaces or gas fireplaces in order to stay warm.

Deputy Fire Chief Gerry Kelly tells The One News some of the dangers when it comes to carbon monoxide.

"It's colorless, odorless and tasteless and it's deadly, you don't even know it's occurring, what it can do is it gives the effects of basically intoxication, you may have a headache, dizziness, fatigue or flu-like symptoms and all of a sudden you're going to get yourself into a serious medical condition" says Kelly.

Kelly adds that Carbon Monoxide (CO) gas can be created from things like generators, furnaces, wood stoves, water heaters/boilers, vehicle exhaust, generators, blocked chimneys and appliances that operate using fuel.

Other carbon Monoxide symptoms include shortness of breath and impaired motor functions.

At higher levels, you can experience chest pain, poor vision and have a hard time thinking.

Meanwhile, at very high levels, CO can cause convulsions, coma, and even death.

If your carbon monoxide alarm goes off he says you should leave your home immediately, call 911 and don't go back home until the problem has been fixed.  (JSL/THE ONE NEWS)


More from Local News

Social Networks

Recently Played Songs

The One For All Club

Join the exclusive VIP club today!